Frequently Asked Questions
What you need to know
How much will it cost?
- Helping Hands Estate Services Inc. will establish the cost after doing a walkthrough of the home. The cost varies depending on the size of the estate and the timeline involved.
What does the walkthrough entail?
- HHES takes inventory of the household items from every room of the house including the garage, shed, basement, and attic. We open drawers and cupboards to help us calculate the time and staff needed to complete the job.
Do you do the job yourself?
- Yes, HHES manages your personal property from start to finish with experienced and reliable staff.
Who keeps track of the money from the sale?
- HHES deposits the money in a trust fund until after the sale. All items sold over $50 are recorded and a list is given to the client after the sale.
How hard is it to help people liquidate their loved ones estate and how emotional can it be?
- The emotional aspect is very hard on people because everything has a memory attached to it. Letting that memory go takes a toll on people who are grieving. We work with our clients through this difficult time. Once we are hired, the client can relax as we take care of their needs. In this fast pace world, people need our service so they can move on with their lives. Most people are too busy and don’t know how to go about handling the estate and usually time is a big factor.
How do you handle house traffic on the day of the sale?
- HHES provides security and controls traffic.
What do you do if you find personal papers, money, stamps, family pictures, etc.?
- We collect all personal papers, money, etc., and place them in a “family box”. This is returned to the client after the sale.
How do you know what items will sell for?
- We have professional appraisers with years of experience (the cost is included in the flat rate). The items are priced to sell with optimum results for the client.
Who provides supplies needed for the estate?
- HHES provide all supplies such as tables, tablecloths, tags, garbage bags, tissue paper for wrapping and bags.
What do you do if there’s garbage removal involved?
- We are responsible for the garbage removal (cost is included in the flat rate).
How do you get people to come to the sale?
- HHES advertises in the Calgary Herald, notices are sent out by broadcast emails to our registered customers on our database, plus outdoor signage posted the day of the estate sale.
What do you do with the rest of the items?
- All remaining assets are donated to the charity of the client’s choice.
Who does the final clean-up?
- We provide a final broom clean-up so the house is ready for the new owner.
How long does it take to complete the job?
- The majority of jobs usually take about two weeks from start to finish.